NAID Membership Benefits
• For those wishing to reach
other secure destruction
publications create a
• NAID has made it easy for you to reach your customers, by
creating informational and sales tools for you to leverage
• These sales tools educate customers, increase business and
enhance the professional image of NAID Members.
• NAID Members have access to the only recognized third
party security certification.
• The NAID Certification Program certifies secure destruction
operations for paper shredding, micro media, physical
destruction of computer hard drives and sanitization of
• NAID Certification is now required by thousands of
organizations around the world, including government
agencies and health care and financial companies
CSDS® Professional Accreditation
• NAID has produced the only professional accreditation for
individuals in the secure destruction industry in the world
• By earning the Certified Secure Destruction Specialist®
(CSDS) accreditation, industry professionals not only gain
Professional Liability Insurance
• NAID Certified Members have access to Downstream
Data Coverage ( www.downstreamdata.com), the ONLY
professional liability insurance product to date that provides
Employee Operational Training
• An online training program designed for member companies
and their employees to promote best practices and protect
• Educate your team on data protection responsibilities and
acceptable operational security practices
Code of Ethics and Complaint
• The NAID Code of Ethics and the Complaint Resolution
Council provides members with a system for holding each
• NAID will take action against any secure information
destruction provider engaging in harmful activities or
producing materials with false information
• NAID forges relationships with government
agencies and leaders to ensure they protect
the role of information destruction service
• NAID has a successful history of working
directly with the Federal Trade Commission,
Securities and Exchange Commission, U.S.
Financial Services Committee, Canadian
House of Commons, Canadian Privacy
• Recent endeavors include responding to
the FTC on the FACTA Final Disposal Rule
• NAID routinely conducts research to advance the interests
of the industry and raise awareness among consumers and
• Recent projects include the most robust electronic data
research project in the world to date
• Results from such studies have earned NAID increased
attention and credibility and enhanced awareness with
consumers and policymakers
• NAID actively educates your customers about the
importance of secure data destruction
• The periodicals in which NAID has advertised includes
The Privacy Advisor (IAPP), Legal Management (ALA),
Information Management (ARMA), Security Management
(ASIS), Journal of AHIMA (AHIMA) and Conexions (MGMA)
C o m pliant
Provided upon Requestto Clients
©NAD 2011 A rghts reserved. Authorzed use ony.
WE PROMISE LESS!
“We can’t risk the new mandatory HIPAA fines for
improper disposal. Considering the ease, the record
of compliance, and the trainingoptions, we can’t
afford not to outsource to a NAID Professional.”
This brochure is a publication of the National Association
for Information Destruction, a non-profit organization that
promotes the proper secure destruction of confidential
information through education and standards enforcement.
properPHIdisposal.net is a non-profit website containing
information and resources intended to show healthcare
providers how to protect patient information at its most
vulnerable point – when it is discarded. By properly destroy
discarded information, practice administrators not only prot
patients’ legal right to confidentiality; they also protect thei
organization, employees and themselves from new mandato
fines that could result from improper disposal.
The information and resources contained within this
website are provided under the assumption that healthcare
administrators who are fully informed on the new realities
and new risks of improper information disposal will be
best prepared to take the steps necessary to protect their
healthcare practice and their patients.
© NAID 2011 – All rights reserved
NAID and the NAID logos are registered trademarks of the
National Association for Information Destruction, Inc.
Myths about Using an Information
A shredding service is
only for a large office.
A shredding service makes
sense for any size office.
A shredding service is
more expensive than
doing it ourselves.
When all costs are included,
outsourcing destruction is
considerably less expensive
than shredding in-house.
Shredding in the office
is more secure.
Employees often avoid the
inconvenience of shredding
which puts the Practice and
its patients at risk. When
shredders break, the problem
is even worse. All things
considered, outsourcing to
a qualified service provider
is more secure than relying
on employees to use office
Exclusive Opportunities Industry Support & Advocacy